Re: Iceweasel (from backports) keeps busy cursor at startup

On 2010-03-21, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have udpated -in one of my testing computers running Lenny/GNOME-
> Iceweasel package from backports (now featuring 3.5.8). So far so good :-)
>
> But I have noted that when launching the program from taskbar icon
> (associated command "iceweasel %u") Iceweasel opens fine but mouse cursor
> keeps the busy status (round ball) until a few secons, even though the
> program has been fully started.
>
> But if I launch the program from a GNOME terminal ("iceweasel") that does
> not happen, and cursor gets the right status (pointer) with no delay.
>
> Is someone seeing that behavior or it's just me?
>
> If yes, I could report it to the backport's guys. If not, something went
> wrong at my side and any hints would be great :-)

I see the same behaviour with iceweasel from backports. When you launch
iceweasel from the menu or a panel icon then you get start-up
notification as specified in the last line of the file
/usr/share/applications/iceweasel.desktop. When you launch from a
terminal, that is not the case.

Still, I don't know the underlying reason why iceweasel displays the
busy cursor for so long. Presumably some internal initialisation is
taking longer than expected. But I'm convinced that that is still the
case when launching from a terminal: it's just that we are not being
made aware of the fact.

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom