Re: how to convince that debian is one the three major choices for a stable server environment?

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 09:32:37 -0500 (EST), Γιώργος Πάλλας wrote:

> Well, we 're not Google or Facebook, and we would like to stick with
> linux...

Here's another link I forgot:

http://www.debian.org/ports/

If all you care about is the x86 derivatives, then this may not be a big
issue for you, but it is for me.  For example, as far as I know, Debian
is the only remaining current and up-to-date, supported, non-commercial
distribution of GNU/Linux for the s390 platform.  There were others in
the past, such as the Marist college distribution, Centos, ThinkBlue,
etc.  But they all seem to have fallen by the wayside.  I don't know
of any other non-commercial distribution of Linux which supports so
many different hardware platforms.  The ability to migrate from one
hardware platform to another with relatively little pain (because the
operating system is the same) is a major plus for some organizations.
Debian GNU/Linux is the closest thing I know of to a universal operating
system.

Oh, and here's another one:

http://www.debian.org/misc/awards

Note that Debian made "Server distribution of the year" in 2008,
according to a member survey conducted by LinuxQuestions.org.