Re: how to convince that debian is one the three major choices for a stable server environment?

Michal wrote:
Well, we 're not Google or Facebook, and we would like to stick with
linux...

I'm not 100% sure what that has to do with anything...I'm taking a a
guess at maybe your thinking of high performance web sites in which case
it has a lot of uses over just that, if that's what you think.

<quote>
What applications are you planning on running?  What kind of performance do
you need?

As others have suggested, *BSD have a great security and stability track
record.  However, Linux (all distros) have much more capability than *BSD in
many areas.  File system choice is limited in the *BSD variants to UFS/FFS,
the BSD Fast filesystem, and SFS, which reserves odd numbered inodes for ACL
information, but otherwise is identical to FFS.  *BSD do not often
alternative high performance file systems such as XFS, the fastest
filesystem available for most applications.

We are a large university's NOC, with thousands of users and the requirement that our servers are interoperable with other universities also running linux. In short, we must stick to linux. Anyway, I found tons of references pro Debian on the web so I think I'm done with my argument!

G.