RE: Decompiler?

> Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 18:10:08 +1100
> Subject: RE: Decompiler?
> From: tim@clewlow.org
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>

> >> Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 07:28:01 -0500
> >> From: zlinuxman@wowway.com
> >> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >> Subject: Re: Decompiler?

> >> following :

> >> need to
> >> ; asked
> >> success. I
> >> difficult to
> >> suitable for
> >>
> >> First, let me make sure I understand what you are asking. You have
> >> some
> >> binary object code and you want to transform it back into the C
> >> source
> >> code that it came from. Is that right? Or did I misunderstand you?
> >>
> >> If that is what you want, then I doubt that it is possible. I've
> >> never
> >> heard of a decompiler. I have heard of a disassembler, but even
> >> they
> >> have the ir limitations. I myself have done extensive work as a
> >> programmer
> >> on a disassembler for the s390 platform. It happens to be the
> >> disassembler
> >> resident in the TRACK for z/VM freeware program. So I am speaking
> >> from
> >> experience here. Even a disassembler is a guess. Here are some
> >> things that
> >> you lose, even in a disassembler:
> >>
> >> 1. All comments.
> >> 2. The names of all variables
> >> 3. The distinction between code and data
> >>
> >> For example, if I encounter the hex string '41101004' that could
> >> be a
> >>
> >> LA 1,4(,1)
> >>
> >> instruction. But it might not be an instruction. It might be data.
> >> It
> >> might be
> >>
> >> DC F'1091571716'
> > >
> >> Or maybe it's a floating point number in traditional s390
> >> hexadecimal
> >> floating point format. Or maybe it's part of an escape sequence of
> >> codes
> >> to be sent to a printer. You can never be sure. All these
> >> uncertainties
> >> are present in a disassembler. In assembly language, there is
> >> pretty much
> >> a one-to-one correspondence between assembler instructions and
> >> machine
> >> instructions. But in a high-level language, that is not so. A
> >> single
> >> statement in source code may generate a long sequence of machine
> >> instructions.
> >> How do you know where one statement ends and another begins?
> >>
> >> In short, I doubt if it is possible. Even if you do find something
> >> that
> >> purports to be a dec ompiler, its output will almost certainly not
> >> match
> >> the original input. Compilation is a one-way process.
> >>

> >> --
> [...]

Thanks . As I don't want to completely analyze the whole of the program and I just want to find the exact syntax of an specific command that is being exchanged between my Debian and the remote network element , can you please let me know which de-compiler can I use to de-compiler just that small subroutine segment part ?