RE: Decompiler?

> Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 22:41:46 -0800
> From: andrew@farwestbilliards.com
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Decompiler?
>
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 05:11:07AM +0000, Hadi Motamedi wrote:
> [... snip nice explanation of why this won't work...]
>
> > So I dis-assembled the code and I was lucky to find the related
> > subroutine . It is short in length but I cannot decode it to find the
> > logic in behind . So I need to find a de-compiler to de-compile it to
> > some sort of higher level languages to see if I can understand the
> > login behind . Please give me a hint on how to accomplish this .
>
> basically it can't be done. It's a one-way operation. Picture this --
> within C there are several ways to print a value to the screen. These
> all likely produce similar machine code where a register is loaded
> with the address of the value t o print and then a print routine is
> called. The question when decompiling is: how do you know *which*
> method of printing a string to decompile to? You can't know. Throw in
> the fact that code and data are indistinguishable at the machine
> level, and it's basically impossible. Now remember that there are many
> many many languages that compile to machine code. How do you even know
> which language it was originally written in? What language do you
> target for the decompilation?
>
> The transformation of high-level code into machine code is not an
> isomorphism. It cannot be reversed.
>
> That said, there my be ways to make some reasonable guess as to what
> the code is doing and de-compile to some psuedo-language, but this
> will still largely be guesswork. If you can make it work even remotely
> reliably, you could probably get a PhD for the work...

Thank you for your reply . The dis-assembled code is in x86 assembly language and the original code in written with c++ running on my Debian server . Can you please let me know if it can helps finding a dis-compiler to have some sort of higher level language code to see if I am still lucky to find the logic behind ?