Re: LVM+RAID+CRYPT

Op vrijdag 8 januari 2010 12:26:37 schreef Stan Hoeppner:
> Sjors van der Pluijm put forth on 1/8/2010 5:13 AM:
> > 3. Is it ok to have swap and /boot on an encrypted LVM?
>
> Never run encryption on swap.  Doing so merely burdens performance.  I
>  doubt even NSA, CIA, MI6 encrypt swap partitions on workstations.
Well, I might heave read wrong, but I thought the Debian installer warned me
not to leave swap unencrypted while other partitions are encrypted. It makes
sense too: sensitive content could easily be written to swap.

> I've never tried to boot from an encrypted /boot, so I really can't say if
>  it would work or not.  Why can't/won't you create 3 partitions?
>
> [boot] 100MB mounted as /boot normal ext2
> [swap] 1-8GB mounted as normal swap partition
> [root] [remaining space] mounted as /root and encrypted however you like
Just found out that /boot should not be in LVM because bootloaders might not
understand it. /boot unencrypted does not seem to be the end of the world.
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/benefitsoflvmsmall.html