Re: Video conversion

> On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 05:32:10PM +0000, Tim Frink wrote:
>> I would like to convert an old video file using the
>> Intel indeo codec into a video format that is supported
>> by nowadays video players. What software could I use
>> for the conversion under Debian Lenny?
>>
> There's a handy GUI called soundconverter.  I think it relies on
> gstreamer for its codecs, so you'll want to make sure you have the
> appropriate ones installed.  I'm not sure if it handles indeo or
> not,
> but here's what I suggest you install to try it out:
>
> soundconverter
> gstreamer0.10-plugins-base
> gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
> gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
> gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
>
> -Rob

You could also use mencoder, a video converter usually associated
with mplayer. There are instructions here:
http://exxamine.wordpress.com/2007/08/06/mencoder-examples-and-converting-from-intel-indeo-5/

Once you have mencoder installed, run something like:

# mencoder the_indeo_file -o output_file.avi -ovc lavc -oac pcm

If you want to use mp3 format for sound, you will get a smaller
output file size with:

# mencoder the_indeo_file -o output_file.avi -ovc lavc -oac mp3lame

But if you dont have mp3 codecs installed then mencoder will
complain it cant find them. The first command will work no matter
what, but the output file will be a bit bigger because it uses pcm
as the audio format on the output file.

hth, Tim