Re: Re: Ugly VGA fonts with console-setup (Squeeze)

> |>  vga 1: even though it is deprecated, you can still use "vga=" in
> |>  the "linux" line.
> |>
> |>  vga 2: if you would rather not use "vga=", you can set the
> |>  resolution  with "set gfxmode="
> |>
> |>  font: you need to use "pf2" fonts and set them with "loadfont
> |>  (hd0,X)/boot/grub/<font>.pf2"

> Where though (in what configuration file, I mean)? And what is the
> relevant syntax and (more importantly) where can one read about all of
> this and learn about it?

> The state of documentation for Grub2 is beyond lamentable. And that is
> surely part of the reason why the transition to Grub2 has been one of
> the most poorly managed of all of the transitions I've dealt with in my
> 14 (otherwise excellent) years with Debian,

I edit "/root/grub.cfg" (I copied grub.cfg into that directory; it is
not there by default) and copy it over to /boot/grub/grub.cfg" because
I do not like the "correct" way of updating grub.cfg.

The "correct" way is to edit the variables in "/etc/default/grub" and
run "update-grub" (which runs "grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg").
"update-grub" runs the scripts in "/etc/grub.d/" and
"/etc/grub.d/00_something" will use the "/etc/default/grub" variables
to set up the default boot kernel, the kernel options, the graphic
mode, whether to use UUIDs, whether to create "single" menuentry
stanzas, whether to hide the menu, etc (similarly to the interaction
of grub1's "update-grub" and the "AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST" section of
grub1's menu.lst).

I more or less agree with your characterization of grub2's
documentation. When I started using grub2 with the Ubuntu 9.10 alphas
in September/October, documentation was scarce. I was cleaning up my
saved urls in the last two weeks and some of the links that I had
saved (on archlinux.org, kubuntuforums.net, ubuntu.com,
ubuntuforums.org) now have some some pretty good grub2 documentation.

The gnu.org grub2 page leads (bizarrely) to a grub2 wiki at engrub.org
or enbug.org (I have forgotten) for a manual/help. There is some good
information there too but it feels like a work in progress that is not
fully up to date (there is an interesting/educative "beta" of a man
page for update-grub, which must have been at the time of writing THE
script to create grub.cfg, now superceded by grub-mkconfig). There is
also a man page for grub.cfg that does not exist elsewhere.

I have not searched very thoroughly but I have only come across
http://wiki.debian.org/GrubTransition as a Debian-specific, -sourced
grub2 instruction.

What I found interesting about this thread is that the OP found a
non-grub2 way of restoring his boot-up look in spite of using grub2...

I assume that he has set "GRUB_TERMINAL=console" in
"/etc/default/grub" (or "terminal console" in /boot/grub/grub.cfg")
when he made the "/etc/default/console-setup" changes that he posted
earlier, rather than go the "terminal gfxterm", etc way.