Re: Problem in Debian 5 Installation

>On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Kevin Ross <kevin@familyross.net> wrote:
>I use UNetbootin, which copies the Debian installer to a USB flash drive,
>and makes it bootable.  Then you just boot from the USB flash drive, do
>normal Debian setup, and it downloads everything it needs to do a full
>install over the internet. There are versions of UNetbootin that run on
>Windows or Linux for creating the bootable USB flash drive.
>
>You can do it manually following the instructions in the Debian installation
>manual, but I find Unetbootin far more convenient.
>
>http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

In this case since it sounds like he's already downloaded a dvd .iso image, I confirmed not too long ago that the method here http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s03.html.en#usb-copy-flexible works for a dvd .iso image also, with a couple minor edits:

-Create a small fat16 partition to house the boot info/files, and a 4.5 (or greater) GB ext3 partition to hold the dvd .iso, on a usb memory stick of 5 GB or more (I used an 8 GB stick)
-Make the fat16 partition have the files according to the above link
-cp the dvd .iso into the ext3 partition

I've done this on several machines, it's beautiful.  Debian installer uses the dvd .iso image from the ext3 partition, and the read/write access times from the usb-based installation are lightning quick compared to an optical drive, not to mention any chance of disc burning or reading errors is virtually eliminated.

I've had issues with using Unetbootin with Debian - sometimes the installer version it uses isn't the same version as the Debian .iso I dowloaded, but the method in the link I provided is spot-on.  Just in case anyone else runs into this also.

HTH.

Mark