Re: How to make Debian/GNome manage network automatically

On Sun, 2009-10-18 at 11:44 +0530, Foss User wrote:
> I am using Squeeze. The network icon on my GNome desktop always shows
> a red cross on it. If the network gets disconnected for some reason
> and I reconnect it again, GNome does not connect to the network
> automatically. I have to run /etc/init.d/networking restart to
> reconnect to the network again. I remember that in the stable Lenny,
> network is managed automatically by GNome or Debian. I would want the
> same to happen in Squeeze. Please help me.

If you comment out the lines for your network interfaces (by putting a
'#' at the line start) in /etc/network/intefaces then Network Manager
will manage the connections. E.g. from my 'interfaces' file,

#allow-hotplug eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp

Leave the lines for the loopback interface alone though.

One drawback I've found is that when shutting the computer down, the
networks are disconnected when you logged out of your Gnome session,
which happens before any mounted network shares are disconnected. This
means I get a hang for a minute or so whilst CIFS times-out trying to
unmount.

--
Tixy