How to make Debian/GNome manage network automatically

I am using Squeeze. The network icon on my GNome desktop always shows
a red cross on it. If the network gets disconnected for some reason
and I reconnect it again, GNome does not connect to the network
automatically. I have to run /etc/init.d/networking restart to
reconnect to the network again. I remember that in the stable Lenny,
network is managed automatically by GNome or Debian. I would want the
same to happen in Squeeze. Please help me.