Debian PPPoE problem

Hi There,

I had a linux box to do pppoe auth from my billion ADSL modem

eth0 connected to modem (Billion BiPAC 7402NX)
eth1 to my linksys router connected to LAN
Both billion and linksys having gigabit LAN port

I am using webmin to configure pppoe.conf and to start the ADSL connection
A while ago, I am updating my debian with 'apt-get -u upgrade'

Problems:

1. I can't activate my ADSL using webmin anymore, then I found these lines on /etc/network/interfaces:

auto dsl-provider
iface dsl-provider inet ppp
pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up # line maintained by pppoeconf
provider dsl-provider

The ADSL still working fine, but if I go to "Webmin - Networking - ADSL Client" section, the status showing: "Your ADSL connection is currently inactive. Click this button to start it up with the command pppoe-start"

I am bit concern, if this will make the ppp connection unstable. Which way is better?

2. My connection rarely drop out, and when it does, I am unable to auth ppp through my modem, but ADSL working OK using my modem directly. After switching it off, unplug those 2 LAN cables from the box for a while, everything went back ok again.

How and where, the part of log files I can do bit of diagnose on what happen? and what kind of message I should look at?

3. On my gigabit NIC, it had 4 led lights; 2 for 10/100 link (led1 and led2); another 2 for 1000 link (led3 and led4)
When my debian box is off or in BIOS, on eth0 (connected to billion modem) led3 and led4 will be on static green (as expected)
But after the debian connected with pppoe, led2 and led4 are blinking green
I also notice before the upgrade, the billion modem connected to debian will have a green light (indicate connected using 1G) where now is on orange (connected 100mbps)

(note: my eth1 working fine and it has led3 and led4 as expected)

How can I make sure that eth0 using the proper driver and able to run 1G connection to my billion modem?
Or this is a normal situation where a gigabit NIC used to do ppp auth even my modem is built-in gigabit port? But why it was indicating with 1G mbps previously?

I am terribly sorry if my questions are so confusing, I tried my best to put these into a plain and simple...

Cheers,

Phillipus