Re: XFce4 vs GNOME Desktop

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 10:40:45PM +0100, Liviu Andronic uttered:
> Hello
>
> On 9/26/09, S. Fishpaste <SDA@deer-in-the-headlights.ca.invalid> wrote:
> >  But when I start up or switch to XFce4, I'm left without a "desktop", just
> >  the application dock on a coloured background, which I can't seem to change.
> >
> First, which version of Xfce are you using? If it's recent (4.6), look
> for "Desktop settings" and find the  "Icons" tab. If it's 4.4 (older),
> it had a strange name, similar to "desktop behaviour".
> Liviu

Sorry had a brain fart, should have posted the relevant info earlier.

Xfce 4 Desktop Environment
version 4.6.1 (Xfce 4.6)
Debian Unstable

I don't understand why you want me to look for icons though. :)

I have a desktop folder already and I can navigate to it via Thunar. So it
seems to me that it's an issue of XFce starting up in the wrong directory.
I'm not running Nautilas (It was installed previously and Xfce displayed the
desktop IF I ran Nautilas). Nautilas was too "heavy" so I removed it. I
would like the desktop back though as I found it handy to have "shortcuts"
on it.

Thanks.