Re: Defeating SPAM Using Debian

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
New blog post that might be useful for some out there: <http://iguanasuicide.net/node/13>.

It's got some very specific configurations, so it might even help those out there that already have a solution like this.

Feedback is *encouraged*. Of course, comments would be great, but the site is a bit looked down due to comment SPAM[1]. If you don't want to sign up to leave comments, shoot me an email on-list or off. I'm nearly always checking my email. >:)

[1] Is that irony?

I use only exim4 without content checking, and the mail client. I get typically 2000-5000 attempted SMTP connections a day (of which about 100 are genuine, mostly mailing lists), and an average of about a dozen spams a week make it into the inbox. Icedove spots at least 80% of those.

Reverse DNS lookup is the best single measure, enabled by default in Debian. I also look for a matching PTR-A record pair, refuse a (by now) quite large collection of CIDR blocks and do some tests on PTR and HELO strings. I refuse about fifteen countries, a couple of large national ISPs by name (they have many CIDR blocks) and try to spot dynamic PTR/HELO strings by digit pattern. I also block a large fraction of APNIC at the firewall, but unfortunately it is continuously acquiring many small CIDR blocks from other regions' former allocations.

Spam that does make it into the inbox is saved up, and I spend about a minute a day looking up their CIDR blocks and adding them to my list. Unfortunately, that's not easy to automate due to the wide variation in material returned by whois.
--
Joe