Re: Size of a kernel module is different at build place and after installation

On Tue, Sep 22 2009, sobtwmxt wrote:

> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta <at> ieee.org> writes:
>

>>         As mentioned in another post in this thread, the installed
>>  modules are stripped of debugging information. make-kpkg can now
>>  create a linux-debug-** package that has detached debug information, to
>>  be used for debugging, as needed.
>>
>>         manoj
>
> File says the modules are not stripped.  The custom kernel package was
> created by kernel-package 12.020.  I still wonder what makes the
> installed modules from a custom kernel deb differ (less) in size, when
> compared to the modules that used to build the deb.

$(MAKE) $(EXTRAV_ARG) INSTALL_MOD_PATH=$(INSTALL_MOD_PATH)           \
  INSTALL_FW_PATH=$(INSTALL_MOD_PATH)/lib/firmware/$(KERNELRELEASE)  \
   $(CROSS_ARG) ARCH=$(KERNEL_ARCH) INSTALL_MOD_STRIP=1 modules_install

        I suppose INSTALL_MOD_STRIP=1 has some effect?

#
#  INSTALL_MOD_STRIP, if defined, will cause modules to be
#  stripped after they are installed.  If INSTALL_MOD_STRIP is '1', then
#  the default option --strip-debug will be used.  Otherwise,
#  INSTALL_MOD_STRIP will used as the options to the strip command.

        manoj
--
One planet is all you get.