Re: Sharing ppp connection with wlan interface

Hi. Thanks for helping.

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 10:49:35 -0300
> Vinícius Massuchetto <viniciusandre@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear all.
>>
>> I've been trying to serve a ppp0 internet
>> connection through a wireless network. I made a
>> small script to be ran when i want to do that:
>>
>> ifdown wlan0
>> iwconfig wlan0 essid "VinaNET" mode Ad-Hoc
>> ifconfig wlan0 192.168.0.254
>> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>> /etc/init.d/dnsmasq stop
>> /etc/init.d/dnsmasq start
>> iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
>>
>> The script goes just fine and the client computer
>> can see the wireless network but can't connect, it
>> only keeps trying:
>>
>> DHCPDISCOVER on ath0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
>> interval x
>
> I'm not sure that I understand exactly what you're trying to do here.
> If you want the box in question to serve as a wireless AP / router
> (i.e., the ppp connection is from the box, and clients connect
> wirelessly to the box)

That's exactly it. I've got a 3G modem connected to the box, and I
want other computers to get this connection wirelessly.

I followed this tutorial to get this configuration:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sharing_ppp_connection_with_wlan_interface

> then you should be configuring it with 'mode
> master', or, more likely these days, using hostapd.  If you have a
> separate wireless AP, and you just want the box to be a dns server /
> ppp host, then the mode should be 'managed', and the AP should be
> configured to forward traffic to the box.

I'm not sure about what mode to use in case I want the computer to be
the router. I found this information randomically defined in different
places while looking for it on the web.

As I said, the client computer sees the wireless network I created,
but can't connect to it. The syslog of the server computer keeps
showing this:

Sep 20 23:46:48 vinicius kernel: [ 3349.172165] wlan0: No active IBSS
STAs - trying to scan for other IBSS networks with same SSID (merge)
Sep 20 23:46:51 vinicius kernel: [ 3351.704879] wlan0: Selected IBSS
BSSID 0e:45:9e:94:06:07 based on configured SSID

> Please explain more clearly your network topology.

Hope it is clear enough now.

Thanks again.
Vinicius