Re: help, ive broken my linux but it still boots up!

Hi,

I bet you must have installed your system by chosing non-English
language as your choice.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 11:09:41PM -0700, jeremy jozwik wrote:
> so ive been running debian lenny for about a week. everythings been
> hunky-dorry until this evening when i turned on my laptop and was
> greeted with several seconds of this during the boot up process.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/godblessbotox/3753646865/

This is Linux console.  This does not support Chinese/Japanese/Korean
characters.  You are clearly chosen some non-English language locale as
your default.

> along with that gobbely gook it beeps for about 3 seconds.
>
> am i boned or is there any hope of a recovery to this?

# dpkg-reconfigure locales

Read http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch08.en.html#_the_reconfiguration_of_the_locale

Chose US English

As for setting up for your locale only in X to avoid this, read:
 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch08.en.html#_specific_locale_only_under_x_window

Osamu