Re: XOrg Config Problem on Thinkpad T60

In <[🔎] 20090717175900.GA16501@khazad-dum.debian.net>, Henrique de Moraes
Holschuh wrote:
>On Thu, 18 Jun 2009, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> 3. Even if binary blobs *were* the original form of the work and their
>> author modifies them by twiddling bytes, they still might not be
>> appropriate for inclusion in Debian main because of the inherent
>> security issues.  Most notably, out inability to audit them.
>
>That's nonsense.
>
>First, "our inability to audit" has never figured in any restrictions.

Not true.  The security team wants this, although it is not a strict
requirement.  Unless security support can be provided in a different manner,
this will cause packages to be removed from main/stable, or rather
main/testing just before release.  I think the last such program was flash-
installer or somesuch.

With the microcode in the Linux kernel and the X.org tree this is generally
not a problem if the manufacturer of the device is providing security
support since the updated microcode can generally be backported.  That would
require a manufacturer to commit to supporting the microcode throughout the
security lifetime of a Debian release.

>However, if you say there was an ASM version of the firmware, and it was
> not just the same binary data in a different container (i.e. it was a
> higher-level representation of the code), then it indeed belongs in
> non-free and I stand corrected about it being sourceless microcode.

Even microcode is rarely developed as a guru/wizard sitting down and writing
out raw machine code.