Re: New install: root account is locked, starting shell

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 12:31:53PM +0200, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> Hi list,
> Made a new unstable install from daily build, using business card image from 2
> days ago. Everything went OK during the process, but the reboot was more
> trouble:
> No way to enter the system as a user, login failed; no way to enter as root,
> login failed.
> So I tried to boot safe mode, and I got this message: "root account is locked,
> starting shell". I dont no what to do from there. I tried to reinstall, but

Do you have a root prompt when you are dropped into the shell?  Have a look
at the password fields for user and for root.  Does the password field start
with a "!"?  If so, unlock the account.  If not, try changing the password
for your user and root accounts.