Re:[Solved] New install: root account is locked, starting shell

On 22 May 2009 05:14:00 gcrimp@vcn.bc.ca wrote:
> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 12:31:53PM +0200, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> > Hi list,
> > Made a new unstable install from daily build, using business card image
> > from 2 days ago. Everything went OK during the process, but the reboot
> > was more trouble:
> > No way to enter the system as a user, login failed; no way to enter as
> > root, login failed.
> > So I tried to boot safe mode, and I got this message: "root account is
> > locked, starting shell". I dont no what to do from there. I tried to
> > reinstall, but
>
> Do you have a root prompt when you are dropped into the shell? Have a look
> at the password fields for user and for root. Does the password field
> start with a "!"? If so, unlock the account. If not, try changing the
> password for your user and root accounts.

Good, thank you. Actually, I went into etc/passwd and removed the "X" starting the description of root account. I could then enter root with out password. Then passwd to recreate a password, and I recreated the user account, and done!
Thierry