Re: /dev/sndstat

Nigel Henry wrote:
On Wednesday 14 January 2009 04:49, M. Lewis wrote:
Nigel Henry wrote:

I wonder if you have some sort of codec conflict going on here. Try
adding the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base, and rebooting.

options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=1

That will just select the first codec, which should be the one for your
soundcard, if there are more than one codec in the equation.

If that doesn't work, and the next time you get the sounds up and
running, post back the output of the following stuff.

cat /proc/asound/cards
cat /proc/asound/version
grep ^Codec /proc/asound/card?/codec*

If the probe_mask option does work, post back the output of the above
stuff as well, as it may be helpfull in getting a solution to the
problem.

All the best.

Nigel.
I have some sounds coming from the speakers now Nigel. Here is the
information you asked for. The first part is run from rc.local, the
second part was run manually after I got the sound. Hope this tells you
something.

Note: the only 'significant' change I made that I know of is:

# Inserted per Nigel Henry
#options snd-hda-intel index=0 probe_mask=1 enable=1
options snd-hda-intel enable=1 index=0 position_fix=1

The first commented out version did *not* work. I later changed the
order and it started working after rmmod snd-hda-intel, modprobe -v
snd-hda-intel.

# date
Tue Jan 13 19:32:27 CST 2009
# cat /proc/asound/cards
--- no soundcards ---
# cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.16.
# grep ^Codec /proc/asound/card?/codec*
# date
Tue Jan 13 21:17:46 CST 2009
# cat /proc/asound/cards
  0 [SB             ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
                       HDA ATI SB at 0xfe024000 irq 16
# cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.16.
# grep ^Codec /proc/asound/card?/codec*
Codec: Realtek ALC885

moe:~# ll /dev/snd
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root      200 2009-01-13 21:15 .
drwxr-xr-x 15 root root     4060 2009-01-13 21:15 ..
crw-rw----  1 root audio 116,  0 2009-01-13 21:15 controlC0
crw-rw----  1 root audio 116, 24 2009-01-13 21:15 pcmC0D0c
crw-rw----  1 root audio 116, 16 2009-01-13 21:33 pcmC0D0p
crw-rw----  1 root audio 116, 25 2009-01-13 21:15 pcmC0D1c
crw-rw----  1 root audio 116, 17 2009-01-13 21:15 pcmC0D1p
crw-rw----  1 root audio 116, 26 2009-01-13 21:15 pcmC0D2c
crw-rw----  1 root audio 116,  1 2009-01-13 21:15 seq
crw-rw----  1 root audio 116, 33 2009-01-13 21:15 timer

After a reboot, unfortunately it is *NOT* working. :-(

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike.

At least we know what the codec is now.

As both your threads have been running for a while, perhaps we could go back, and get some basic details.

Which machine do you have? Make/model. PC, or laptop.

Gigabyte GA-MA69G-S3H. It is a desktop.

Sound was working on your i686 install, and I presume that was Lenny, but when you installed x86_64/AMD64 version of Lenny, sound no longer worked. Was that a totally fresh install of the 64 bit version of Lenny?

Yes, the 64 bit install was on bare metal as was the 32 bit install.

Personally I'd go back to the i686 version of Lenny, where the sound was working. I've seen conflicting reports of the benefits of using a 64 bit OS. Only my opinion, and of course it's your choice.

Believe me, the thought has crossed my mind. Although I would like to assist the developers to resolve this issue. The developer who is working on my bug report asked me to hang in there until the weekend when he has access to hardware to test with. Other than this issue, the 64 bit is working fine.

Anyway. Back to the ALC885 codec. There are a bunch of model options for this codec with the 1.0.16 alsa driver, as below. I see the same model options for the 1.0.18a alsa driver, but bear in mind that the alsa developers are continually applying patches to the alsa driver, so maybe upgrading to the latest alsa driver is an option. The link for the latest is also below.

ALC882/885
   3stack-dig 3-jack with SPDIF I/O
   6stack-dig 6-jack digital with SPDIF I/O
   arima  Arima W820Di1
   targa  Targa T8, MSI-1049 T8
   asus-a7j ASUS A7J
   asus-a7m ASUS A7M
   macpro MacPro support
   mbp3  Macbook Pro rev3
   imac24 iMac 24'' with jack detection
   w2jc  ASUS W2JC
   auto  auto-config reading BIOS (default)

Latest alsa driver obtainable from link below, and if you want the latest nightly snapshot of the driver, that's the 2nd link.

http://alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page
http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/

If you're not sure on how to upgrade the alsa driver, just ask.

All the best.

Nigel.

I've thought about upgrading to the latest Alsa code. In looking at their bug tracking system, the snd-hda-intel has *lots* of issues.

I found a document on the web [1] that said "I also noted on the alsa
web site that sometimes an ALC889A can be misidentified as an ALC885
when in fact it is closer to an ALC888/ALC883."

So, using that, I've tried some of the models listed for the
ALC883/888 with limited success. Right now, in
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base, I have the following appended:

options snd-hda-intel enable=1 model=3stack-6ch-dig index=0 position_fix=1

I've had some limited success using that line and a combination of:

rmmod snd-hda-intel
modprobe -v snd-hda-intel

When I hit the right combination, I can hear a small 'click' in the
speakers. Then I know it will work.
Although, it has not yet worked after a reboot. I know it sounds
silly, but it only seems to work after waiting
a while after a reboot. Maybe 30 minutes or so. Like it is waiting for
something to time out, or perhaps it's a race
condition. I don't know. Just trying explain what I've tried and under
what conditions it works.

Right now, the sound is working fine. Again, using the above instructions.

I may try the latest code from Alsa tonight to see if I can get something reliable across reboots.

Thanks,
Mike

[1] http://forums.opensuse.org/hardware/64-bit/396018-intel-hd-audio-ich9-realtek-al889a-codec-no-sound.html

--

 And on the seventh day, He exited from append mode.
  16:45:01 up 13:04,  1 user,  load average: 0.12, 0.11, 0.09

 Linux Registered User #241685  http://counter.li.org