Re: /dev/sndstat

On Wednesday 14 January 2009 04:49, M. Lewis wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:

> > I wonder if you have some sort of codec conflict going on here. Try
> > adding the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base, and rebooting.
> >
> > options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=1
> >
> > That will just select the first codec, which should be the one for your
> > soundcard, if there are more than one codec in the equation.
> >
> > If that doesn't work, and the next time you get the sounds up and
> > running, post back the output of the following stuff.
> >
> > cat /proc/asound/cards
> > cat /proc/asound/version
> > grep ^Codec /proc/asound/card?/codec*
> >
> > If the probe_mask option does work, post back the output of the above
> > stuff as well, as it may be helpfull in getting a solution to the
> > problem.
> >
> > All the best.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> I have some sounds coming from the speakers now Nigel. Here is the
> information you asked for. The first part is run from rc.local, the
> second part was run manually after I got the sound. Hope this tells you
> something.
>
> Note: the only 'significant' change I made that I know of is:
>
> # Inserted per Nigel Henry
> #options snd-hda-intel index=0 probe_mask=1 enable=1
> options snd-hda-intel enable=1 index=0 position_fix=1
>
> The first commented out version did *not* work. I later changed the
> order and it started working after rmmod snd-hda-intel, modprobe -v
> snd-hda-intel.

> # date
> Tue Jan 13 19:32:27 CST 2009
> # cat /proc/asound/cards
> --- no soundcards ---
> # cat /proc/asound/version
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.16.
> # grep ^Codec /proc/asound/card?/codec*
> # date
> Tue Jan 13 21:17:46 CST 2009
> # cat /proc/asound/cards
>   0 [SB             ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
>                        HDA ATI SB at 0xfe024000 irq 16
> # cat /proc/asound/version
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.16.
> # grep ^Codec /proc/asound/card?/codec*
> Codec: Realtek ALC885
>
> moe:~# ll /dev/snd
> total 0
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root      200 2009-01-13 21:15 .
> drwxr-xr-x 15 root root     4060 2009-01-13 21:15 ..
> crw-rw----  1 root audio 116,  0 2009-01-13 21:15 controlC0
> crw-rw----  1 root audio 116, 24 2009-01-13 21:15 pcmC0D0c
> crw-rw----  1 root audio 116, 16 2009-01-13 21:33 pcmC0D0p
> crw-rw----  1 root audio 116, 25 2009-01-13 21:15 pcmC0D1c
> crw-rw----  1 root audio 116, 17 2009-01-13 21:15 pcmC0D1p
> crw-rw----  1 root audio 116, 26 2009-01-13 21:15 pcmC0D2c
> crw-rw----  1 root audio 116,  1 2009-01-13 21:15 seq
> crw-rw----  1 root audio 116, 33 2009-01-13 21:15 timer
>
> After a reboot, unfortunately it is *NOT* working. :-(
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Hi Mike.

At least we know what the codec is now.

As both your threads have been running for a while, perhaps we could go back,
and get some basic details.

Which machine do you have? Make/model. PC, or laptop.

Sound was working on your i686 install, and I presume that was Lenny, but when
you installed x86_64/AMD64 version of Lenny, sound no longer worked. Was that
a totally fresh install of the 64 bit version of Lenny?

Personally I'd go back to the i686 version of Lenny, where the sound was
working. I've seen conflicting reports of the benefits of using a 64 bit OS.
Only my opinion, and of course it's your choice.

Anyway. Back to the ALC885 codec. There are a bunch of model options for this
codec with the 1.0.16 alsa driver, as below. I see the same model options for
the 1.0.18a alsa driver, but bear in mind that the alsa developers are
continually applying patches to the alsa driver, so maybe upgrading to the
latest alsa driver is an option. The link for the latest is also below.

ALC882/885
   3stack-dig 3-jack with SPDIF I/O
   6stack-dig 6-jack digital with SPDIF I/O
   arima  Arima W820Di1
   targa  Targa T8, MSI-1049 T8
   asus-a7j ASUS A7J
   asus-a7m ASUS A7M
   macpro MacPro support
   mbp3  Macbook Pro rev3
   imac24 iMac 24'' with jack detection
   w2jc  ASUS W2JC
   auto  auto-config reading BIOS (default)

Latest alsa driver obtainable from link below, and if you want the latest
nightly snapshot of the driver, that's the 2nd link.

http://alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page
http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/

If you're not sure on how to upgrade the alsa driver, just ask.

All the best.

Nigel.