Re: Transferring pictures from a digital camera (it was Re: Best software under Gnome)

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 02:27:17 -0200
"Daniel Cliff" <daniel.cliff.email@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 1:27 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> >> _ delete the pictures in the camera after successful file transfer (I
> >> guess most people normally do that in order to take new pictures,
> >> right?),
> >
> > mv?  cut-n-paste?
>
> BTW, this is sth I always wanted to know ever since I got my camera:
> Does anyone know how digital cameras store pictures? When I mount the
> camera, I see the pictures are inside a directory, which in turn is
> inside another directory. I've always been reluctant to mv the
> pictures from the camera to a local folder, because I thought that
> might mess things up with the camera. I know I may sound naive, but
> perhaps there are caveats to take into account.
>
> Does the camera disregard directories?

It regards directories, some cameras ignore directory names they don't know,
some show you the pictures, some allow you to chose the directory to save to.
In any case they don't mind directories they don't know. If you delete the
directory they use they will just recreate it (sometimes it spreads the
pictures along several numbered directories, but it's the same principle).

> Can you rename files in the camera's memory?

You can, and all cameras I know will still show you the picture (might be a
different sort order if they sort by name though)

> Can you rename folders in the camera's memory?

Yes, most cameras will still show you the pictures even after you changed the
directory name but in any case they will not delete them. I even have pictures
from different cameras on the same card with different directory names, image
names, resolutions and file formats and even unrelated files as I sometimes use
the card as a usb disk since most laptops these days have a card reader.
The pocket camera doesn't show the full size raw from the slr, just the
previews and ignore the matching jpgs, that is the only issue.

I even used a card with a messed up file system where there were directories
you couldn't descend into the file sizes added up to 2TB on a 2GB sd card and
there was still 650mb free when you checked free space and the camera still
happily saved images.

> Any caveats?

There is sometimes a database file that helps the camera place the images, but
even if it's deleted or doesn't match the state of affairs on the card it will
be restored.

You can  always format the card if it gets too disorganized (not bad time to
time) just make sure that you do it in the camera so it uses the correct format.