Re: Best File System for Cross-Platform backup

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 02:17:34AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 12/25/08 01:47, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:

> >Also, what other file systems should I use?

Do you need a filesystem at all?  What about just writing a tarball to
the drive?  Can other OS's tar read in from a raw device?  This saves
the overhead of the filesystem.  tar can even compress one the fly, or
you can pipe it through openssl to encrypt it (useful for a portable
piece of data).

Personally, on my thumb drives I use the standard FAT and put everything
in encrypted compressed tarballs.

Doug.