Re: Canadian Walmart Photo Centre Problems?

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 19:28:43 -0400, diane mittnik in gmane.linux.debian.user wrote:
> On 11/12/08, S.D.Allen <SDA@deer-in-the-headlights.ca.invalid> wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:07:29 -0500 (EST), Doug Mitton in
>> gmane.linux.debian.user wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, I agree BUT by update you keep updated in your current version
>>> "stream".  That I did.  I don't always jump to be the first to use a
>>> new release "beta" as I'm not always interested in working through the
>>> new BUGS.
>>
>> Well you should if only for the security issues surrounding the older
>> versions !
>
> You aren't suggesting that a Debian Stable user run a mixed
> Stable/Testing or Stable/Testing/Sid setup just to run the latest
> Firefox, are you?

Stable is generally for servers who would be running a web browser on a server ?

By reading this board for several years now, I've noticed that quite a
few folks use mixed environments. <shrug>

There is also backports. I don't know if the Firefox is in backports though
as I don't run a GUI Linux. I use Debian GNU|Linux for servers only.

> Or a Debian Stable user forego the packaging system and all its
> benefits including easy security updates, and install/compile the
> latest Firefox and then have to monitor mailing lists and security
> sites daily/hourly to check for security holes/workarounds/patches?

Well that's part of being a responsible user. Firefox can update itself,
without user input required. And no I'm not saying forego the packaging
system. Does Iceape not do an autoupdate independent of the packaging system
?