Re: Canadian Walmart Photo Centre Problems?

On 11/12/08, S.D.Allen <SDA@deer-in-the-headlights.ca.invalid> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:07:29 -0500 (EST), Doug Mitton in
> gmane.linux.debian.user wrote:
>
>> Yes, I agree BUT by update you keep updated in your current version
>> "stream".  That I did.  I don't always jump to be the first to use a
>> new release "beta" as I'm not always interested in working through the
>> new BUGS.
>
> Well you should if only for the security issues surrounding the older
> versions !

You aren't suggesting that a Debian Stable user run a mixed
Stable/Testing or Stable/Testing/Sid setup just to run the latest
Firefox, are you?

Or a Debian Stable user forego the packaging system and all its
benefits including easy security updates, and install/compile the
latest Firefox and then have to monitor mailing lists and security
sites daily/hourly to check for security holes/workarounds/patches?

>From my understanding of Debian security, security patches (whether
from the regular sources or security that monitors backports or
alternate sources) are backported into Iceweasel/Iceape as they are
part of Stable sources and monitored by the security team.

>>> From: Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com>

>>> Heh. This is why you should always keep your programs updated
>>> to the most recent version, especially for something as commonly
>>> used as Firefox.

If my understanding of what you wrote here, my questions above apply
here as well.

>>>  In case you have more problems you could try the User
>>> Agent Switch plugin for Firefox, I've had very good success
>>>  setting my Firefox to show up as Netscape on Vista.

User-Agent switcher generally works for me but it didn't work for me
to view the Olympics from the NBC web site.  Even altering the entire
user string to mimick Apple or IE on Vista or XP (I checked web logs
to make sure and examined the browser headers as well) didn't work for
me and I gave up.  Maybe in '10 I'll have better luck.