cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data provided

I'm getting killed by my cups printer.

This is the only thing that it does. Just keep telling me I have no Authentication data provided.

I have never provided authentication for the last three years that this was working. There was an upgrade somewhere with the clients and server that has just hosed everything up.

Depending on which way the wind is blowing the Firefox browser will work, but it's 50/50 and with no other error reported than this.

Cups has no documentation regarding this problem and little in the way of Policy or other areas that have much to do with this.

I've tried removing all the Auth statements in the conf file, changing EVERYTHING to Allow localhost, 192.168.1.* and still it's not working.

I have been without a printer for far too long for this to be funny.
I've even tried the dumb-ass solution of purging Cups and reinstalling it fresh. Nothing changed.

The printers absolutely work from test pages.
The printers absolutely do not work from remote clients.
I don't have sufficient software on the printer server to try printing as a localhost client -- that's not the intention of this box.

All I can find is that a lot of people have this problem and no one seems to have a fix for it. Does anyone any suggestions or is this one of those, "Oh Yeah, you need to use unstable as test/stable have a bug" I'm pretty hosed.