Re: grammar tool in linux ... perhaps in emacs

Martin Smith wrote:
H.S. wrote:
Hello,

I hope I do not start a flame war here. I was wondering what choices do
we have to check English grammar in Linux.

<snip>

Well the last time I saw a grammar checker on a computer was in the days
of wordstar and dos 3.1, to call it crap would be an insult to crap.
I have no idea where it got it's rules from but it certainly did not
correspond to any form of english grammar, from either side of the atlantic
that I have ever come across.
I have never seen anything since.

Going back to DOS, I had (and still have on an old Win98 box) an app called RightWriter, which applied the rules from Strunk & White's /Elements of Style/. It even came with a copy of the book, and each comment referenced the rule by number.

It was/is superior to Grammatik (sp?), a real PoS, and another major player of the time, whose name I can't remember. RightWriter was published by Prentiss-Hall. I made inquiries regarding new versions or availability of the source. They were met with silence. A damned shame, as porting a DOS program to Linux ought to be fairly straight forward, and RightWriter would be worth the effort.

cheers,

gary
--
Anyone can make a usable web site. It takes a graphic
designer to make it slow, confusing and painful to use.