Re: Lenovo Thinkpad, HP, or Vostro/Latitude? was Re: OT: Laptop for College Bound Student?

On Sat June 14 2008 11:24:06 Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> We are in the same position, and need a quick solution.  I'm looking at
> Newegg's Lenovo Thinkpads (R61i and T61) at <$1K and the Dell
> Vostro/Latitude D630 choices at the $600/850 levels.
>
> Costco has some HP's as well, roughly the same level.
>
> The $$ is fine across the board--I wanted quick feelings about the
> models... are thinkpads simply superior build-wise and so are the best
> choice, or...?
>
> I recognize that this could start a flameware--it's not the intent,
> though.  Honest thoughts are welcome.

Thinkpads are just wonderful.  However to use the NVidia you'll need
either Testing or a mix of Unstable and Testing, either of which
entails an awful lot of volatility.

FWIW, Fedora 9 Gnome works fine on the T61, but use Fedora 8 if you
prefer KDE.

--Mike Bird