Re: making bootup fsck more user-friendly

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> I guess the defaults are very conservative settings regarding
> reliability of your data and were implemented at a time when there was
> no journalling for data protection.

Actually, kernel bugs, memory problems, corruption in the CPU to disk
platter path, and media bitrot are the reasons for which scheduled fsck
exist.  Journals don't help or hinder it in any way.

Otherwise, you'd fsck only on unclean shutdown, or after a known
data-trashing event (like an erroneous write access to the raw device, or IO
errors on the device, etc).

  Henrique Holschuh