Re: making bootup fsck more user-friendly

Hi and thanks for your reply.

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Johannes Wiedersich
<johannes@physik.blm.tu-muenchen.de> wrote:

> On 2008-06-13 11:25, David wrote:

[...]

> read 'man tune2fs' for some tips for setting interval and mount count to
> something that better meets your needs.

This isn't a solution for me. I want fsck to run regularly, but to
still have a way to by-pass it when I need to.  Making fsck run less
frequently will leave me with the same problem. eg every 100th boot I
will still have to wait 10-20 minutes before I can start using the PC,
which is a royal PITA.

> Ctrl-C worked without problems the last time I tried on my debian lenny.

I tested this on 2 Sid boxes, both had the problem. In the past (with
Testing & Stable) hitting Ctrl-C will randomly either leave the
partition read-only, or will re-mount it in write mode.

I think that in my case:

Hitting Ctrl+C breaks *both* fsck, and the script that started it
which is meant to re-mount read-write after fsck (failed or
successful)

And in your case:

Hitting Ctrl+C breaks fsck, but the calling script is not interrupted,
so it does remount the partition as read/write.

Possibly in my Sid systems, the system is more reponsive to Ctrl+C.

Which suggests another feature request for the sysvinit package:

 - Don't terminate if the user breaks fsck with Ctrl+C. The user
should hit Ctrl+C twice if he wants to stop fsck & the script which
called it (and which is supposed to remount with read/write after the
fsck).

> Set your mount count and intervals apropriately for your needs. You
> could also fsck manually (shuttdown's -F option), whenever it suits you,
> eg. disable automatic checking and only check manually.

This is a pain. I would need to find time when I'm not using the PC,
but still want it to be on, which is not often. I like to turn off my
PC when I'm not using it, and to not have to wait for it when I do
want to use it.

>>  - /sbin/shutdown allows the user to (any of these would help):
>>    * Force a fsck during the restart (-rF), and then to shut down the system.
>
> Does not work for me, because I want to shut down the computer
> completely, not just waste all that power with standby mode. I.e. if you
> want to turn off the power supply completely, shutdown is not enough,
> YOU have to switch off manually.

I think this depends on hardware. Most of my boxes shut down
completely when I run 'shutdown -P'. But there are a few (maybe old
kernel) which go into stand-by mode even when I really want shutdown
to power it off.

If shutdown isn't meant to work this way, then why does it have a -P option?

>>  - ability for a readonly fsck on a r/w filesystem to gather info to
>> make a later fsck on the filesystem as r/o to find and fix problems
>> faster.
>
> Do you have some technical expertise on how to implement this? I doubt
> that the ext3 developpers overlooked that, if there was a good technical
> solution....

Might be because ext3 devs are mainly focused on servers which are
turned on 24/7 & rarely rebooted. The kind of feature I'd like would
be more useful for desktop users.

David.