Re: OT: Laptop for College Bound Student?

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 12:12 -0400, Gregory Seidman wrote:

> Nope, the right-click is just the same as any other two-button mouse.
> Pushing the mouse down with a finger to the left of the top of the mouse is
> a left-click, pushing the mouse down with a finger to the left of the top
> of the mouse is a right-click. The squeeze is an entirely different
> operation, and can be bound to a variety of actions. If you just use the
> mouse as you are used to using a two-button mouse, it just works (assuming
> you have enabled the right-click in preferences).

Either way, it still proves my ultimate point:  Apple originally
designed a single-button mouse to keep the learning curve as low as
possible.  The fact we're having this much discussion over how to make
use of modern Apple mice suggests they're failing miserably at the
intuition part of the "simple mouse."  They have managed to take
something with very little learning curve and made it an order of
magnitude more difficult and less obvious to use than similar competing
products, which seems to me is counter to Apple's overall UI goals.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca