Re: OT: Winmodems are soundcards Was: Laptop for College Bound Student?

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 02:07:14PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> What modem?  "Winmodems" aren't modems, they're sound boards with the
> wrong audio connector.

I have read something like this many times. What am I interested in
is if I can make my regular soundcard force to behave like modem?
What I have in mind is to connect phone line instead of one of
the speakers and use that to connect to ISP. I was trying to find
some info but failed (perhaps I was looking at wrong places).
Is there a kernel module available that can turn soundcard into
modem?

Misko