Re: OT (slightly) swap limits

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 04:45:05PM -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:

> Being in an interview loop looking for employment, I find I am asked
> questions I never considered, for example:  How much is enough swap?

Rephrase the question.  Ask what the intended use of the machine is,
what response times the users expect, how much real RAM is there, and
what applications/services will run off the machine.

Then tell the interviewer how each parameter you've asked about would
influence your decision on how much swap was enough.

How much is enough?  As much as the system needs to run and not kill
processes due to lack of memory (real + swap).

I've run machines with 1Gig or more RAM with NO SWAP.  I've also run
machines with 4Gig of RAM and 16Gig of swap (BIG datasets).

Pat
--

Patrick Ouellette                 pat@flying-gecko.net
ne4po (at) arrl (dot) net         Amateur Radio: NE4PO