OT (slightly) swap limits

Being in an interview loop looking for employment, I find I am asked questions I never considered, for example: How much is enough swap?

Simple, right? Try answering it. Used to be the limit was 2G files/partitions with up to 8 partitions total. This does not apply anymore: I have seen customers with 32G of swap.

Not wanting to talk about what they did with 32G of swap, but I am trying to find documentation for the limits and the rules now.

For example: 2xRAM (or 1.5) is not considered valid any more is it? If you have 64G of ram, you need 128G of swap. But in truth I don't know and I am not finding much on google (lots covering the 2G OLD limit). What I want is documentation so I am not working off of opinion (read religious belief).

Got any links you want to share?

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com