Re: Testing with some Unstable

On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 07:48:36AM -0800, Jeff Grossman wrote:
> I am currently running a Debian testing system.  I want to live on the
> cutting edge with a couple of packages, particularly Sendmail right now.
> When I run "aptitude install -t unstable sendmail libmilter1" I get the
> following output:
>
> The following packages have been automatically kept back:
>  fontconfig-config gnustep-back-common gnustep-base-common
>  gnustep-base-runtime gnustep-common gnustep-gpbs gnustep-gui-common
>  gnustep-gui-runtime libcurl3 libfontconfig1 libgsasl7 libltdl3
>  libltdl3-dev libobjc1 libruby1.8 libversion-perl linux-image-2.6-686
>  linux-image-2.6-k7 php5-mcrypt python-support ruby1.8 ttf-dejavu
> The following packages have been kept back:
>  acpid apache2 apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-utils apache2.2-common apt
>  apt-listbugs apt-utils aptitude binutils bsdmainutils bsdutils coreutils
>  cpp-4.1 curl debconf debconf-i18n debconf-utils debianutils eject g++-4.1
>  gcc-4.1 gcc-4.1-base grub initramfs-tools installation-report
>  iputils-ping klibc-utils laptop-detect libapache2-mod-php5 libc6
>  libc6-amd64 libc6-dev libc6-dev-amd64 libc6-i686 libcupsys2 libdb4.6
>  libglib2.0-0 libklibc libmudflap0-dev libopencdk10 libpcre3 libpcre3-dev
>  libpcrecpp0 libpq5 libsasl2-2 libsasl2-modules libslang2 libssl-dev
>  libssl0.9.8 libstdc++6-4.1-dev libtool linux-image-k7 linux-libc-dev
>  locales login mercurial mount mutt openssl passwd php-pear php5 php5-cgi
>  php5-cli php5-common php5-gd php5-mysql phpmyadmin razor sasl2-bin
>  sendmail-base sendmail-bin sendmail-cf sensible-mda terminal.app usbutils
>  util-linux x11-common zlib1g zlib1g-dev
>  libmilter1 sendmail
> 2 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 103 not upgraded.
> Need to get 433kB of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
>

> I am assuming all of those packages have been updated in testing, but I
> have not asked to install them.  Would I be shooting off my foot with just
> upgrading Sendmail and Libmilter from unstable but leaving everything else
> from testing?

actually, assuming you now have unstable in your sources.list, those
are packages currently installed for which there are updates available
(probably unstable updates...). Be careful or you'll end up farther
than you want.

I can't answer to the specifics of sendmail and libmilter, but so long
as you have unstable in your sources.list, those kept-back packages
will appear (unless you upgrade them, of course). Probably, on the
assumption that sendmail and libmilter is sufficient for your needs,
you should change you sources.list back once those two upgrades are
done.