Re: risks of using net apps as a user in wheel or adm?

On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 07:23:47PM +0000, Joe wrote:

> It was to do with the original point, active client-side content of web
> pages, really. This was the 'vast majority of downloaded software' I
meant,

sorry, I musunderstood that point...

> and was contrasting it with the distribution of system executables, which
> is done relatively safely. Microsoft may not be as ethical as we would
> like, but so far the actual distribution system has remained fairly
> tamper-proof. Whatever malicious software ends up in the machine is exactly
> the malicious software that Microsoft meant to distribute. And if the use
> of apt reached Windows-like proportions, how many people would manually
> invoke it each day? How many would scour the Internet for half an hour
> first, looking for evidence that the pending updates were safe or
> not?

I agree with you here. In fact, we basically agree across the board
here, we just suffer from the medium's lack of nuance. ;)

> But hey, I
> deal with my government, whose ethics are lower still.

shudder. I feel for you. at the moment, I am largely insulated from
*that* horror.

cheers.