Re: how get colour mutt when ssh from OBSD?

Douglas A. Tutty(dtutty@porchlight.ca) is reported to have said:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 12:39:03AM -0000, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> >
> > > I have a box that runs OpenBSD that sshes into my Debian box.  On
> > > OpenBSD, the default colour term is vt220 so when I ssh to debian, TERM
> > > is set to vt220.
> >
> > vt220's don't do color.
> >
> > OpenBSD console is normally set to make $TERM to "vt200", which is twice
> > a bug since it doesn't emulate vt220 either (except if one considers that
> > a subset of a vt100 is again a subset of a vt220).
> >

> > > When I run lynx or mutt, I get black on white with no colour.  On Lynx
> > > this means that my blue on gray ends up as white on black; with mutt I
> > > don't get the blue top and bottom lines or the red thread lines.
> >
> > That's normal...
> >

> > > Does anyone have any clues on this?
> >
> > Conventional applications (excluding hardcoded stuff like GNU ls)
> > uses terminfo/termcap data to determine what the terminal can do.
> > You should report a bug in the applications that don't.
>
> Thanks.
>
> I solved this problem by finding a TERM common to both that does colour.
> TERM=screen works just fine.

Thanks to your perseverance, I have found the answer to a question I
have had for a few weeks.

Every ssh login to debian boxen on my lan has been printing the line
"setterm: $TERM is not defined".  It seems that, a long time ago, I
had set TERM="linux" in my .bash_profile based on something I had
read.  I tried other setterm options, but never found a solution
to the "$TERM is not defined", until now.

One more unknown uncovered Douglas, thanks to your efforts.  I am,
yet again, indebted to you.

Wayne

--
I have a dream: 1073741824 bytes free.