Re: Is Etch Stable is really stable?

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 03:53:33AM -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
> On 05/31/2007 03:21 AM, Deboo ^ wrote:
> >On 5/31/07, Mumia W.. <paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >>
> >>Doing "apt-get clean" will clean up the packages cache.
> >
> >But I _don't_ want to clean the cache! And still be able to do  clean
> >etch install. How should I do that?
>
> I think you can use apt-move, mkisofs and cdrecord to save the packages
> to a CDROM with the structure required to make the packages easily
> installable.
>
> You could then reformat and reinstall.
>
> If an important package from the old apt cache is corrupt, and you
> install it again, the problems may recur.

Assuming that your apt cache represents a significant download time then
it makes sense to spend some time to 1) verify their integrity, then 2)
assemble them into a repository-like unofficial CD that you can use
during the install.

I don't know of an automated way to do this, however, I think that each
package in the debian repository will have its md5 sum listed in a file
somewhere on the same server.  You can then calculate the md5 sum of
each of the debs in your apt cache and verify them.  Remove any that
fail prior to bundling them into your own repository.

Doug.