Re: Upgrade from Sarge to Etch problems

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 03:57:15PM -0600, Luis Hidalgo wrote:
> I'm having some serious problems with the upgrade. I've followed the
> instructions found here
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes and I have a "full
> desktop system".

> The message Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: at
> /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Gnome.pm line 54, <> line 1.
> debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Gnome
> debconf: (DISPLAY problem?)
> debconf: falling back to frontend: Dialog

Considering that X changes to Xorg, I wouldn't consider it wise to have
debconf configured to use an X front-end.

> #ifup eth0 it says "Ignoring unknown interface eth0=eth0"
> which was correctly configured earlier. The file
> /etc/network/interfaces is exactly as before, wlan0 seems to work, but I
> have no wireless internet around here. Please advice,
> and suggest what to post.

Never used wireless so don't know.  I don't suppose that you have a
spare computer that can do wireless that you can connect to using
standard ethernet or something?

> If someone could also tell me how to read what comes after some dialogs
> (questions y/n) (slow it down) it would be greatly appreciated, because
> I can't tee it to a file, since the dialog is in the middle. I can't use
> less/more for the same reason.

What about reconfiguring debconf to use readline instead of dialog?
That plus a serial console generally solves most such problems.

Doug.