Re: Preventing delayed USB writes

On 05/15/07 23:00, Brendan wrote:

>> [snip]
>>
>>> I would rather not experiment on my wife's new mp3 player, but it
>>>  would be a pain to force her to the command line every time she
>>> wants to transfer music to it...
>> Does she just yank it out?
>>
>> IMNSHO, I would say to you: remember that Linux comes from a true
>> multi-user heritage from back when 9-track (reel-to-reel) tapes
>> ruled the data center, and were frequently dismounted and mounted.
>>
>> Thus, break the single-user mindset and proper unmount "tapes" when
>> you are finished using them.
>>
>> In GNOME, when you right-click on a USB stick icon there is a choice
>> to "Unmount volume".  I'm sure than KDE has something similar.  You
>> and your wife should just train yourselves to this new reality.
>
> Or, look into setting up sync....So that yanking something out doesn't do
> damage.
>
> I love that you advise "Train yourselves to this new reality". Yeah, no.

I can't tell if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me.

In case you are disagreeing: if someone switches from Windows to
OS/X and then says, "It doesn't work like Windows!!!", he'll be met
with the answer, "Well, yeah, because it's a Mac."

Similarly, Linux isn't Windows.  The very things that protect it
against spambots & viruses means you have to do a few things
differently.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA