Re: Preventing delayed USB writes

> > I would like
> > to configure things so that, for instance, when I (ok, actually my
> > wife) use konqueror to copy songs to my mp3 player, when the copy
> > dialog says 100%, I can immediately unmount the device without
> > having to wait for a delayed write.

> > I have looked at the mount man page, but it says the sync option
> > (which I think is what I want) is only available for ext2/3 and ufs
> > file systems.
> > -Ped

> The man page may be wrong [0] - and beware of damaging the flash stick!

The man page is wrong (has been for over two years, according to [0]).

> [0]http://readlist.com/lists/vger.kernel.org/linux-kernel/22/111748.html
> Celejar

That thread is two years old, but it is a pretty dire warning.

Does anyone know if this problem (excessive writes to the FAT with the
sync option enabled) has been addressed in more recent kernels?
Or does everyone just suck it up and wait huge amounts of time for
USB media to "safely remove"?

I would rather not experiment on my wife's new mp3 player, but it
would
be a pain to force her to the command line every time she wants to
transfer music to it...

-Ped