Re: [OT] Good, evil and religion [WAS] Re: A way to compile 3rd party modules into deb system?

On 05/10/07 03:50, Joe Hart wrote:
> Raquel wrote:
>> On Wed, 9 May 2007 16:26:31 -0400 (EDT)
>> judd@wadsworth.org wrote:
>
>>>      It helps to know something of the context when reading the
>>> bible.  The people who Abraham lived among (Canaanites, IIRC?),
>>> practiced sacrificed the "first fruits" to whatever gods they
>>> worshipped.  It was not uncommon to include the first born
>>> son in this.  One of the remarkable parts of the story of Abraham,
>>> to a contemporary audience is the fact that the God of Israel does
>>> not actually call for his people to sacrifice their children.
>> And Abraham did not sacrifice Isaac.  When Abraham showed up, in
>> compliance to the wishes of the God of Israel, God provided a lamb
>> in his place.
>

> I am playing the Devil's advocate here.  So I might as well fulfill my
> role.  So, you're saying God was merciful on Isaac because a lamb was
> sacrificed instead.  Fine.  So God demanded cruelty to an animal, which
> is also against our modern laws.

Cruelty?  Where does that come from?

Or are you a vegan?

> Either way one looks at it, the Bible is condoning behavior that is no
> longer accepted as being morally just.  Or perhaps it is just telling us
> what happened, so we can learn from the past.  I can't say that seems
> very evident looking at many of the things that happen today.

Shedding the blood of animals to *cover* human sin was what YHWH
demanded.

Jesus' death and the shedding of His blood permanently *washed* away
all human sin.

Note the different words I used: *cover*, which is temporary and why
Jews had to make yearly sacrifices, and *washed* which is permanent.
 The Law is now fulfilled, and now all that is left is for man to
believe.

That, at least, is the way I was taught it by the Assemblies of God.

> I really just wish that Christians would adhere to the lessons that they
> so firmly believe in.  But alas, we have a whole lot of people that seem
> to do well on Sunday and forget about the rest of the week.
>
> Is it a turn the other cheek world we live in or is the eye for an eye
> world?

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA