Re: Etch install

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 06:23:09PM +0000, bobsetch@comcast.net wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm new to linux, debian and etch. I've loaded etch onto another computer and am lost. I used the gui loader and expected to get to a place that was helpful but no way. When I power up I get what appears to be a gnome desktop with some games but I have no idea how to get a word processor or open office from here. I thought that would have all been loaded by the installer. I need help.
>
> Bob

You may find it useful to wrap your lines at about 72 characters.

Use synaptic - Debian GUI package manager - or, open a terminal
and (commands indented by one tab stop below for emphasis only)

	su - <Enter>

	[Give root password] (prompt will probably change to a #)

	aptitude install openoffice.org<Enter>

When aptitude finishes,

exit<Enter> (will put you back to being a normal user)

Synaptic / aptitude and/or apt-get are what you need here.
man aptitude will tell you more than enough to get you
started :)

Hope this helps,

Andy