Re: Etch install

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 06:23:09PM +0000, bobsetch@comcast.net wrote:
> Hello!

Hi Bob,

> I'm new to linux, debian and etch. I've loaded etch onto another computer and am lost. I used the gui loader and expected to get to a place that was helpful but no way. When I power up I get what appears to be a gnome desktop with some games but I have no idea how to get a word processor or open office from here. I thought that would have all been loaded by the installer. I need help.

well, first of all, congratulations. Sounds like you've got an
essentially flawless installation. Many times the first we hear from
someone is during the install process.

Obviously you've been through the various GNOME menu's already, right?
There is generally a sub-menu call "Office" under the "foot" menu. If
not, you'll need to install some stuff. This is where debian really
shines: there are literally thousands of freely available programs.

The first thing you need to do is get yourself into the package
manager. There are several choices available. Probably the easiest for
you to get to at this point is "synaptic". This is a GUI package
manager that functions pretty much  like all the rest, but has a
pretty interface. TO get there, select the "Desktop" menu -->
Administer --> Synaptic Package Manager. THen you can search for
openoffice, or any other app you like. It will allow you to install
these things with ease.

good luck