Re: How to boot in to Etch if grub fails to load and deletes NTLDR?

On 5/4/07, Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net> wrote:

Questions for you:

     1. Please describe you model and make of Motherboard, hard drive
        controllers, video cards and if you are using 1 or more hard
        drives.
     2. One the off chance, did you let the installer install grub on
        the Master Boot Record or MBR? Or did you install it to the
        "root" partition of the Debian Install?
     3. Are you using the released Debian "Etch" v4.0 stable (April 8th,
        2007 release)? Or are you using older Debian Etch v4.0 testing?
        Or are you using the newer Debian v4.x Lenny "testing"
        installer?

And the netinstall requires you to grab the "rest of the packages" from
one of the Internet repositories. It will give you a basic "bootable"
system for you to finish the install from.

One last thing: Remember that Any version of Windows assumes it is the
ONLY Operating System on the machine. It will break upon anything of the
fantasy not being true... if it sees it.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for a quick response. Here's the info you asked for:

Motherboard: Intel D102 GGC2
Processor: Intel P-IV 3.2,
256 MB DDR2 RAM
VGA: Onboard ATI-Radeon
Hard Disk: Samsung 80GB IDE (only one).

Yep, the installed installed it to the MBR and not the root partition.

I'm using Debian "Etch" v4.0 stable (April 8th, 2007 release)

I'm aware of the netinstall needing to fetch more packages off the
net. In fact  was about to shoot another mail about the "how to
configure pppoe with the netinstall" but searched and got a thread
about it and got the answer.

Again, I am now more interested to know if there's a way to boot in to
the normal system without using a boot floppy of the begone days.

Is there an option I can make a "boot CD" like the boot floppy option
present in RedHat/Fedora systems towards the end of installation?

Regards,
Deboo

--
Please don't Cc: me, I'm subscribed to the list.