How to boot in to Etch if grub fails to load and deletes NTLDR?

Hello,

I tried Etch netinstall and after rebooting, I do not get a grub menu.
Even XP seems to be gone even though I booted using knoppix and the
partition was alright, except the NTLDR was missing. So had to recover
using the XP CD.

I have tried thsi twice and still after the reboot of Etch netinstall,
the hard disk gives and OS not found type of message.

I do not know if there's a workaround and I would better like to know,
if I do nto install grub on the mbr.

If I install it on the root partition, how would I boot in to debian normally?
What do I need to do? I guess the netinstall CD can only give me a
basic shell and can not boot normally in to the installed basic debian
system.

Regards,
Deboo

--
Please don't Cc: me, I'm subscribed to the list.