Re: OT: sponge burning!

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 03/26/07 03:55, Dan H. wrote:
After this thread has been going on for months, I decided to find out if
"sponge burning" is some kind of idiomatic expression because I'd never
heard it before.

So I googled "sponge burning".

But all I got were references to this thread, dozens of them, and
nothing else. Does this mean that this thread has now become the de
facto definition of sponge burning, whatever it means?

Yes.  IIRC, it started out referring to Sponge Bob Square Pants.

Actually, it started out as a discussion related to an article on Slashdot/digg/something similar about nuking sponges in a microwave oven in order to kill the bacteria/germs on the sponge. When the article first came out, it did not specify to make sure the sponge was wet, and subsequently there were many reports a day or three later about dry sponges catching fire. I don't recall why that topic made it to this list, nor why it morphed into such a very off-topic thread, but it's all archived if you're really curious.

--
Kent