Re: grml can - Solved: Debian can

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 10:28:24AM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> When I boot from a grml-0.9 cd my dvdrw and cdrw drives are found on hde
> and hdf.  They are mountable and usable.

<snip>

> I complied a kernel from Debian linux-source-2.6.18.  On boot up the
> system fails to find the dvdrw and cdrw drives and does not add hde and
> hdf to the list of devices in /dev.  Only entries hda and hdb for the
> two hard drives appear in /dev.

The solution was staring me in the face.  Late in the loading of BIOS a
message "JMicron Technologies Corp.  PCIE-to-SATAII/IDE RAID Controller"
followed by the lines

	ODD0: LITE-ON DVDRW  LH-20A1H
	ODD1: CD-RW  CDR-9V52

appears briefly on the screen.  I have never used RAID - perhaps I'll
get to it - so I ignored this message.

In retrospect it seems so obvious and I feel pretty stupid.  I went to
/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.18 and found JMicron JMB36x support in /Device
Drivers/ ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RTL Support.  With this as a module I how have
hde and hdf in /dev plus a slew of cdrom2, cdrom3 cdrw2, cdrw3, dvd2 and dvdrw2 soft links.

There remains an underlying problem with the ECS KA3 MVP motherboard
BIOS.  It will only start booting a system CD if one of the two optical
drives is in the boot sequence by name.  The boot sequence
floppy/cdrom/hard drive will always default to hard drive as there is no
cdrom.  On the other hand only the grml CD will boot from one of my
optical drives.  All the other system CD's I have - Sarge CD #1, Knoppix
3.3, Knoppix 5.0, bbc-2.1, a rescue CD made with mkrescue - all fail.
Each of them starts to load and then stalls - perhaps because they are
looking for the non-existent cdrom drive.

I can live with this as with the 2.6.28 kernel and the JMicron module
Etch loads and runs perfectly from the hard drive.  I had hopes for
Knoppix 5.0 which I downloaded this morning and for the rescue cd which
was also made today but, in an emergency, there is always grml to fall
back on.

Thanks to those of you who tried to help me see the error of my ways.