Απ: accented chars. shown as question marks in black diamonds in mozilla

2007/3/8, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com>:
Nick Demou wrote:
> in the case of this page the text is really encoded as iso8859-1 (as
> you can find out if you manually select this encoding when everything
> displays properly) but the html code reports that it's text is encoded
> as UTF-8 (as you can see if you look at the first lines of the html
> source: content="text/html; charset=utf-8" - you can see the source
> with menu->view->page source).
>
> So its a problem that only time.com can solve properly

For a moment pretend that I am the person responsible to do that (HTML
programmer or HTML editor or whatever). What would I do to resolve this?

My guess: use an HTML editor which supports UTF-8? Then the tag in the
web page, content="text/html; charset=utf-8", would specify the
encoding, the editor would input proper encoding of the character and my
UTF-8 enabled browser should show the characters exactly as they were
typed(?)

yes this would do the trick
however do note that you do not need to have UTF-8 everywhere: you
could use an HTML editor that supports iso8859-1 and just make sure
that the tag DOES PROPERLY indicate that this is iso-8859-1 text and
you would be equally good.
UTF-8 everywhere does makes these issues easier (it's just that it is
rather recent development and a) a few programs can't handle it b)
some programmers users don't know how to set things properly for UTF8
support)